The LS IT VPN service has been verified to work with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
How to connect to the VPN for the first time
- Visit the VPN web address:
- Provide your UC Davis credentials (CAS Login ID and Passphrase), and click the "Sign In" button.
- You will be prompted to download and save the VPN client software (the recommended version for your operating system will be at the top of the list).
- Launch the installer from your Downloads folder. Windows Defender may not recognize the publisher of this file for OpenVPN - click on “More Info” then “Run anyway”
- Complete the installation procedure, accepting all of the default options and entering your administrator credentials if needed.
- Once the installer completes, look in the lower right corner in the system tray for the "OpenVPN Connect" icon (looks like a keyhole) and click on it.
- Exit out of the tour and click “OK” on the prompts for data collection and updates.
- Click on the toggle button to connect (the profile should read "vpn.dss.ucdavis.edu/Dynamic [bundled]") and enter your UC Davis credentials.
- When successful, you will see that you are “Connected” and some stat information.
- You will find a new OpenVPN icon in your System Tray (lower right corner), which indicates the status of your VPN connection. The icon looks like a filled in white keyhole when connected.
You can find pictorial directions here:
How to connect to the VPN AFTER the first time
- Find the OpenVPN icon in your system tray (lower right corner of the screen). The icon looks like an white outlined keyhole.
- Click on the icon, and select "Connect . . ." from the menu.
- You will be prompted to enter your UC Davis credentials (CAS LoginID and Kerberos Passphrase).
- Click the "OK" to connect to the VPN.
How to disconnect from the VPN
- Find the OpenVPN icon in your system tray (lower right corner of the screen). The icon looks like an white keyhole.
- Click on the icon, and select "Disconnect" from the menu.